ReasonForOurHope

Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday Poetry: Sonnet 29

I selected this poem in college for an acting class.  We had to choose a sonnet and perform it dramatically.  I remember I volunteered to do an exercise in front of the class which was this:

1.  Choose three gestures to use in the performance
2.  Over-exaggerate the gestures (e.g. if I were to put my hand on my chest, I would make big motions with my arm and then beat my torso)
3.  Say the poem all in gibberish.

It was a strange assignment and I felt like a complete and utter fool in front of the rest of the class (all of whom were relieved that it wasn't them up there).  But by the time I was done with the exercise, I was able to tap into some kinesthetic emotional energy or something, because the people in class saw the change in my performance.

So anyway, here's the poem

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state 
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate, 
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, 
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope, 
With what I most enjoy contented least; 
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state, 
Like to the lark at break of day arising 
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment